Social Security Numbers
is a retirement and medical benefits program administered by the
students on an F-1 or J-1 visa do not need to have a Social Security Number
(SSN) unless they are working. People will ask you for your Social Security
Number at the Enrollment and Registration office, the bank, etc. When a
Even if your friends tell you it is true….
A SOCIAL SECURITY CARD DOES NOT GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES!!
Who is eligible for a Social Security Card?
An F -1 student who has obtained a job offer to work on or off campus and has found employment may apply for a Social Security Card. NOTE: If you have found a job, your employer will require you to have a Social Security number in order to pay your taxes according to federal government regulations.
Documents required to obtain a Social Security Card
You must take your passport, I-20, I-94, a letter promising employment from your employer, and a letter from International Student Admissions and Advising.
Where can you obtain a Social Security Card?
There are many Social Security
offices in the
In summary, follow these simple steps to help with Social Security Number application process:
1. Complete the Social Security Card application form. (You can get this application from the Social Security Administration website.)
2. Have your employer prepare a written offer of employment.
3. Request a Social Security letter from the office of International Student Admissions and Advising.
4. Take the above two items, your passport, form I-94, and your I-20 (endorsed by the International Student Advisor for on-campus employment) to the Social Security Administration office in person. (DO NOT MAIL)
5. You are also advised to take evidence of legal employment, such as your Employment Authorization Document from immigration, a letter from your employer, a pay stub or, an on-campus job offer letter.